Aggressive Lawyers Who Demand Accountability
If you were injured on someone else’s property in NYC, New York’s premises liability laws may apply. These laws govern the responsibilities of property owners to maintain their property in a safe condition that does not harm others.
If you are hurt on someone else’s property, the Brooklyn premises liability lawyers from Avanzino & Moreno, P.C., Attorneys at Law can aggressively fight for the compensation you deserve. Our Brooklyn personal injury lawyers have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for our deserving clients since opening our doors in 1992.* We will fight just as hard for your recovery, too. Contact us today to get started with a free, no-obligation case review.
Common Types of Premises Liability Claims
Premises liability cases take many forms. One of the most common types of premises liability cases is a slip and fall, in which a visitor on the property slips on a wet floor, falls down and is injured. The inquiry usually becomes whether the property owner knew of the slippery floor and did anything to prevent it.
However, premises liability cases span a broad range of situations. Premises liability cases may involve:
- Snow and ice accidents caused by a property owner failing to clear pathways or parking lots of snow or ice, resulting in injuries to visitors
- Defective conditions that cause visitors to be injured, such as broken steps or stair rails or missing fire escape exits
- Building code violations that result in injury, such as missing handrails
- Inadequate maintenance that contributes to accidents
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Amusement park accidents
- Swimming pool accidents
- Exposure to toxic fumes
- Dog bites caused by a dangerous dog on the property
- Inadequate security in which a visitor is injured by the criminal conduct of a third party
How Property Owners Can Prevent Accidents
Property owners in New York have a legal duty to keep their property in a safe condition in an effort to prevent accidents. Their specific duties vary based on the situation, but they may be able to prevent accidents and void liability by taking steps such as:
- Placing noticeable warning signs near the dangerous area
- Melting ice at entrances and on the parking lot shortly after it stops snowing
- Completing periodic inspections to find hazards and promptly fixing them
- Clearing clutter out of walkways
- Hiring qualified security staff or placing security measures on the property, such as gates and locks
An experienced premises liability attorney in Brooklyn can investigate and determine if there was more a property owner could have done to prevent your injury.
Compensation You Can Recover in a Premises Liability Case
If you were injured on someone else’s property, the law gives you the right to pursue compensation for the damages you suffered. Depending on the circumstances, these damages could include the following:
- Medical expenses, including emergency room visits, surgical costs, prescription medicine, and ongoing care
- Loss of income while you were off work recovering, as well as any effect on your long-term earning capacity
- Pain and suffering for the physical and emotional pain you endured because of the injury
- Loss of consortium caused by your accident injuries
- Loss of enjoyment of life if you are unable to enjoy the same activities as you were able to before the accident
An experienced NYC premises liability lawyer will demand fair compensation for the damages you suffered.
Contact Our Premises Liability Lawyers in Brooklyn for Help with Your Claim
If you were injured on someone else’s property, turn to the Brooklyn premises liability attorneys at Avanzino & Moreno, P.C., Attorneys at Law. We provide a free case consultation to discuss your legal rights and options. Contact us today to get started.